The Screaming Avocado Café and Slow Food Perth County are reaching out to encourage Canadian Slow Food convivia to recruit groups of youth participants from their communities to bring to the Slow Food Canadian Youth Terra Madre. This inaugural meeting of young food enthusiasts will be taking place on May 3rd and 4th, 2011 (please note the change of date: this event was originally proposed for later in May but has been changed due to schools’ field trip calendar policies). The event will take place at McCully’s Hill Farm (located between St. Mary’s and Stratford, Ontario), and will entail one evening of camping and two days of programming. The age range for participation is 15 to 17 years old.
Event programming includes cooking and gardening demonstrations, discussion forums, and taste education workshops. Participants can include school groups and/or community-based youth groups. Total youth participants will be capped at 200.
Youth will not be able to attend without being part of a chaperoned group. Based on the age group of the attendees there will be a zero-tolerance policy in place for smoking, drinking or consumption of drugs. Individuals wishing to attend must apply – the registration package will be made available to convivium leaders in the very near future.
The cost per participant is $50 for the two days, which includes camping fee, lunch and dinner on May 2nd and breakfast and lunch on May 3rd. There will be a $20 discount for members of groups who are willing to supply food for the meals – more information on this will be provided in the registration package.
Each participant must bring:
- Their own eating utensils, plate/bowl and water bottle
- Tent and sleeping bag
- Waste disposal materials (all participants/groups are responsible for collecting and removing all of their own waste from the site)
- Suitable clothing and footwear (the event is rain or shine)
- Washroom facilities will be available, but no showers
- At this point, all groups are responsible for their own transportation to and from the site. However, if we are able to find a sponsor to support transportation the opportunity will be extended as appropriate.*
*Slow Food Toronto will provide transport to participants to any group that originates in the GTA. Please email Jennifer at [email protected] if you are interested in transportation from the GTA.